WINTER DRIVING TIPS
While we have all enjoyed the recent dry spell of weather, no doubt wet, wintery conditions are on the way.
Please see below some winter driving tips.
- Keep your windows clean – in particular the inside.
- Ensure your wipers are clearing the windscreen properly and if not have them replaced.
- When you drive on wet roads, mud and dirt splash on your headlights, reducing illumination by up to 80%. Clean your lights front and back regularly. A quick wipe on a regular basis can make all the difference.
- If your windows get foggy, use your air conditioning. If your car is not fitted with air con, let the windows down slightly – this will aid defogging.
- When driving on wet roads, do not use the cruise control.
- Tyres need to be property inflated with the correct tyre pressure and have adequate tread depth. Both tread depth and accurate tyre pressures are key to good traction on the road.
- When driving on roads with water c. 1cm deep; each tyre has to displace c. 5 litres of water per second. If you undertake a lot of driving during the winter period, consideration should be given to having A-Rated wet tyres fitted.
- Use care when driving in built up areas, especially around schools and school drop off areas. In rural area’s be mindful of children boarding/getting off school buses and that they may also be crossing the road to do so.
- Ensure your mobile phone is fully charged before taking a journey (if you don’t have a phone charger for your car).
- Undertake a winter check up on your car:
- Inflate your tyres regularly (once a month).
- Clean windows & lights especially when undertaking long or night time journeys.
- Have your tyres checked by a reputable tyre centre/garage.
- Inspect your wipers regularly, replacing wiper blades when necessary. Top up your windscreen washer bottle with water and windscreen additive.
- Get your car serviced now for the winter months.
- Check oil and water levels regularly (once a month).
- Consider packing an emergency kit in your car (high vis vest, flashlight, warning triangle, etc).
AT MICHAEL FLYNN CARS we are offering a winter car service for just €89 between November 7th 2016 and January 31st 2017.
Oil and Oil Filter replacement plus 25-point check.
Free Bulb replacement (where necessary).
10% discount off Wiper Blade replacement
15% discount off new tyres. (Terms and Conditions Apply)
DRIVE AT SPEED RELATIVE TO THE WEATHER AND ROAD CONDITIONS.
ENSURE ALL OCCUPANTS ARE WEARING THEIR SAFETY BELTS.
PLEASE DRIVE SAFELY OVER THE WINTER MONTHS.